Thursday, January 19, 2012

"You don't like to run because you're too out of shape to do it."

I've always been a chubby kid.  Always.  I remember wearing size 14 jeans in 7th grade.  Ouch. That memory hurts.  Not as bad as another memory.  I had a teacher in 6th grade, let's call him Mr. M.  He was an avid runner as was his entire family.  I said in class one day that I didn't like to run and his response was, "You don't like to run because you're too out of shape to do it."  Who says that to a 6th grader?  Really... jerk.

Most people gain weight when they go to college.  I did not.  I actually lost weight my first year of college thanks to an awesomely gigantic salad bar that Gustavus had.  I transferred after my first year, got my heart broken, and started working at Happy Chef (read pancakes, biscuits & gravy, and bacon galore).  I gained back most of the weight that I had lost that first year.  Junior year I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and the pain/depression/suckiness took over and I was not into the idea of working out on top of working two jobs and going to school.  My fibro meds made me not hungry and lose weight which was nice... probably not healthy.

I graduated from UNI with having gone to the rec center a random 15ish times throughout my 3 years there... that was a fail on my part.  After graduation I got a job at a residential treatment facility for teenagers which required lots of physical exertion (cough getting the crap beat out of me by teenagers on a daily basis) so working out was not really super necessary.

Last February we moved to Humboldt.  I was waiting tables so I was up and moving around a lot so that kept the weight off.  However, in August I started a desk job... blech.  Weight has been gained, jeans are too tight and Bethany is not happy.

Enter my new plan.  I found a dress that I love and want to buy for my lovely friend Katie's wedding in August.  Problem... they don't make it in my size.  I have already been trying to eat a little bit healthier and making more positive food choices but something else must be done.  Enter the Couch to 5k.

This program is supposed to take you from being a couch potato to being able to run a 5k in 9 weeks.  9 weeks!  If I start on Monday then I will finish the week of March 18th.  Crazy? Perhaps. Hopeful? Yes.  Plan... start to like running.  Go to Webster City and run by Mr. M's house and flip him the bird :-)

Picture for Motivation

No comments:

Post a Comment